Chapter 22: Neoteric AR Trends

MANAGING ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLES

[Appreciating Asset Protection Strategies] 

By David Edward Marcinko
By Hope Rachel Hetico

The one who adapts his policy to the times prospers, and likewise that the one whose policy clashes with the demands of the times does notNiccolo Machiavelli 

Introduction

All physicians, clinics and medical practices are aware that accounts receivable (ARs) represent money that is owed to them, usually by a patient, insurance company, health maintenance organization (HMO), Medicare, Medicaid, or other third party payer. In the reimbursement climate that exists today, it is not unusual for ARs to represent 75% of a doctor’s investments in current assets [cash, etc].

ARs are a major source of cash flow, and cash flow is the life-blood of any medical practice. It pays bills, meets office payroll, and satisfies operational obligations.

A feature of ARs in medical practice that differentiates them from ARs in other types of business is that they are often settled for less than the billed amounts.

These allowances include four categories that are used to restate ARs to realizable expected values:

  1. professional or courtesy allowances;
  2. charity (pro bono care) allowances;
  3. doubtful account allowances; and
  4. HMO and managed care organization (MCO) contractual and prospective payment allowances.

 More here: ORDER: http://www.springerpub.com/shoppingcart

Dictionary of Health Economics and Finance: http://www.springerpub.com/prod.aspx?prod_id=02549

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Chapter 22: Neoteric AR Trends

  1. ST. JAMES MEDICAL CLINIC, INC

    St. James Medical Clinic has $500,000 in ARs from a third-party payor that historically pays 96% of the claims in 60 days, denying the remaining 4%. A benefits company has offered the clinic $475,000 for the ARs.

    If St. James can earn 6% on excess cash, should it sell these ARS?

    KEY ISSUES:

    Considering the tools and techniques reflected in this section, what factors should the St. James Clinic consider in making its decision?

    1) What is the actual cost?
    2) What is the benefit?
    3) On what grounds could you argue that selling would be a sound financial move?

    Any thoughts on this sample case model after reading this chapter in the BMP 3.0?
    David

    1. Professional skateboarding is beujses of a craze, particularly for the particular kids. Research conducted recently estimated that 14 trillion individuals across the world is associated with professional skateboarding, and more than 1-next off skate boarders usually are 16 years old or even younger. Skateboarding can be technically understood to be a task where one particular interacts using a skate board. Some sort of skateboard is really a podium together with trolley wheels which has been in the first place conceptualized throughout the 1950s where skateboarding grew to be a new activity for users in the event the waves within the oceans ended up lacking.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s